Posts and Beams

We took Sunday off to recharge our collective batteries (mostly; a few kids wanted to work so we added a beam to the middle of each sled base). Students spent most of the afternoon lounging and we had a teacher outing back to the traditional room at the museum, the fur shop, and the Top of the World Hotel restaurant. 

Today we were back to the normal schedule, and kicked off first thing with a design discussion. We had several options for the smaller roof segment of at least one of the pavilions, so we put them to a vote... and the curved option won with nearly unanimous support. 

 This design iteration is for the playground near the coast, the Sadie Neakok Memorial Playground. To keep our designs straight, we're calling this pavilion Sadie. 

This design iteration is for the playground near the coast, the Sadie Neakok Memorial Playground. To keep our designs straight, we're calling this pavilion Sadie. 

The Chevak crew, tools belts on and ready to work.

The main task for the day was to install the columns and beams that will hold our shelter roofs. We used salvaged 4 x 6 lumber to make the posts, deriving our height dimensions from the constraints of the found pieces. After cutting notches in each post, a lot of sanding and filing was done to each one to turn the rough wood into something that looks good and won't give kids splinters. 

Working out column dimensions on the white board.

April and Evelyn sand our salvaged posts prior to installation.

Mike O. takes a turn on the radial arm saw.

First beam goes up! Dennis and Nick stabilize while Joe screws it in place.

Geoffrey whistles while he works.

Joe and Geoffrey work together to install a beam.

Misha and Branham apply a coat of clear finish to the installed beam.

While most of the crew worked on the columns and beams, a few did some design work, brainstorming ideas for the benches that will go inside the structures.

I also took a few students with me to gather some more donated materials. We stopped by the mayor's house to get a few additional sheets of plywood, and then went by the City of Barrow shop for some metal roofing that came off a newly-remodeled building. The roofing was too long to fit on our truck, so the City kindly delivered it - which gave the four workers a chance to check out our progress. We actually had quite a few visitors stopping by the shop today, and all were impressed with the quality of the work so far! 

Lena, April, and Milly work on bench design ideas.

Posts and beams installed.

Post detail.